Monday, October 8, 2012

Product Placement: HeroTrays

Anyone that's played HeroClix for any amount of time knows that transporting your team, to and from a tournament, and moving them from table to table once you get there are two of the more annoying challenges with the game. It's also well known that there are some pretty innovative players out there that have come up with some pretty cool ideas to solve these problems. And some players are even enterprising enough to make those ideas available to the public.

One such product is a neat little series of trays aptly called HeroTrays that comes to us from John Woodall, who was trying to solve the problem of how to move around his newly acquired GSX Magneto at a tournament in a more protected fashion. He made one of these trays for himself, and it was such a hit among the local players that he made it available to the HeroClix community at large.



I was fortunate enough to acquire one of the HeroTray Peanut Base (P002) trays from him at GenCon in August, and I have to admit, my only regret is that I did not buy two. If you're considering buying one, I highly recommend the Peanut Base tray. It gives you the most bang for you buck and is highly versatile. In fact, I actually gain a little space with my tray, because I usually keep my character cards in a 9-Pocket Trading Card Page, so I have that area to use as extra space. I have found it's a great place to put a Single Dial Colossal base, if you have one on your team.


Not only is the tray great for keeping track of the team that you're playing, as well as tokens, line of fire tool, and dice, its great for keeping your sideboard organized during a game. In the photos above, you'll notice that in both cases, I have at least one character that could possibly sub in for another character. If you'd like to see a team that takes subbing to the extreme, check out this 4 figure team with a MASSIVE sideboard.


The original team is Ant-Man and Wasp, Mockingbird, Hawkeye, and Scarlet Witch and Vision. It was a heck of a lot of fun to play, and the HeroTray was an invaluable resource, since I had a nice handy place to keep track of all of my subs. Plus, it allowed me to easily move the entire set of them if they were in someone's way, without having to disrupt too much of the flow of my own game.

My only problem now is that when I play at home with my daughter, she has usurped the use of the tray for her own team. Hence the reason I wish I had bought two when I had the opportunity. Guess I can always order another one for Christmas.

That's it for this installment of Product Placement. I'll be doing another one of these when Karl finally gets me my ID Rings. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment